1. Why does Mortenson learn the Muslim way of
2. Why is Mortenson first attracted to
3. What is Mortenson’s most important reason
for climbing K2?
4. What mistake led to Mortenson’s kidnapping
5. After learning that a bridge must be built
in Korphe before constructing the school, Mortenson is very depressed. What
finally raises his spirits?
6. Sir Edmund Hillary, one of Mortenson’s
heroes, is famous for what accomplishment?
7. Mortenson attends a prayer service and later
meets Syed Abbas in which type of establishment?
8. Who helps get the first
fatwa against Mortenson removed?
9. When the Korphe Women’s Vocational Center
opens, what type of equipment does it provide?
10. How is the school built in Hushe different
from the other CAI schools?
11. Why is Mortenson called “Dr. Greg” in
12. How do Mortenson and Tara Bishop
13. How does Haji explain his decision to give
up twelve of the village’s valuable rams?
14. How is Mortenson different from most
Westerners, according to Twaha?
15. Why does Mortenson decide the CAI should
focus on providing education through the first five grades?
16. What does Mortenson do to help people in
the Skardu refugee camp?
17. Why does Jahan interrupt the meeting in
18. Where does Mortenson go to learn more about
education for girls?
19. What two groups fought in the Kargil
21. What surprises Mortenson when he is
introduced to Donald Rumsfeld?
22. What precious commodity do the widows of
Kuardu send to the widows of New York?
23. What does Kathy Gannon think about the
“media circus” at the Marriot after 9/11?
24. Why was Kevin Fedarko traveling with
Mortenson in Pakistan?
25. Why does Mortenson go to Sadhar Khan’s