Summary & Analysis
"The Book of the Grotesque," "Hands," "Paper Pills"
"Mother," "The Philosopher," "Nobody Knows"
"Godliness," Parts I-II
"Godliness," Parts III-IV: "Surrender," "Terror;" "A Man of Ideas"
"Adventure," "Respectability," "The Thinker"
"Tandy," "The Strength of God," "The Teacher"
"Loneliness," "An Awakening"
"Queer," "The Untold Lie," "Drink"
"Death," "Sophistication," "Departure"
Full Book Quiz
'The Book of the Grotesque,' 'Hands,' 'Paper Pills'
'Mother,' 'The Philosopher,' 'Nobody Knows'
'Godliness,' Parts 1-2
'Godliness,' Parts 3-4: 'Surrender,' 'Terror;' 'A Man of Ideas'
'Adventure,' 'Respectability,' 'The Thinker'
'Tandy,' 'The Strength of God,' 'The Teacher'
'Loneliness,' 'An Awakening'
'Queer,' 'The Untold Lie,' 'Drink'
'Death,' 'Sophistication,' 'Departure'
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. What word is used to describe the people whom the old writer sees pass before his eyes in the introductory section?
2. What is Wing Biddlebaum's former profession?
3. What does Doctor Reefy do with his little scraps of paper?
Sends them to publishers
Puts them in his coat pockets
Reads them to sparrows and blue jays
4. What kind of business does the Willard family run?
A grocery store
A boarding house
5. Why is Doctor Parcival afraid that he will be lynched?
Because he raped a local girl
Because he refused to come give medical attention to a girl who died in the street
Because he is black
Because he molested George Willard
6. When George Willard says "She hasn't got anything on me. Nobody knows," he is talking about
7. Why does Jesse Bentley inherit his father's farm?
Because he agrees to marry Elizabeth Willard
Because his four brothers die in the Civil War
Because he kills his father
Because his sister dies of cancer
8. Jesse Bentley's grandson is named
9. Why is Louise Bentley treated badly by the girls she lives with as an adolescent?
Because she is ugly
Because she marries their brother
Because she is rich and they are poor
Because she does well in school and they do badly
10. What does David Hardy do after he hits Jesse Bentley in the head with a rock?
He runs away and leaves Winesburg
He makes sure the old man is dead, and buries the body in the woods
He prays to God for forgiveness
11. What kind of team does Joe Welling organize and manage in Winesburg?
12. What happened to the man Alice Hindman was in love with?
He married another girl in Winesburg
He became a priest
He left town and stopped writing to her
13. What does Wash Williams hate?
The Willard family
14. With which girl does Seth Richmond go out walking?
15. Who gives Tandy Hard her first name?
A nameless drunk
16. Who does the Reverend Curtis Hartman see when he looks through the window in the bell tower?
17. What is Kate Swift's profession?
18. What is special about the people who inhabit Enoch Robinson's New York apartment?
They are imaginary
They are all women
They are escaped slaves
They are criminals
19. Who does Belle Carpenter go out walking with at night?
20. What does Elmer Cowley think that other people call him and his family behind their backs?
21. What does Ray Pearson feel an urge to tell Hal Winters?
That he should leave Winesburg
That he shouldn't have any children
That he should get married
That he should not get married
22. What does Tom Foster do because he "wanted to learn things?"
Lose his virginity
Kill a man
Go to college
23. With whom does Doctor Reefy find himself falling in love?
24. What did Elizabeth Willard's father leave her?
Eight hundred dollars
25. On the night of the Winesburg County Fair, who does George Willard go to see?
Short Summary Quick Quiz
From the SparkNotes Blog
What to Do If You Left All of Your Required Reading Until the Last Minute
Every Book on Your English Syllabus Summed Up in a Quote from
20 Incredible First Lines That Will Make You Want to Read the Rest of the Book Immediately
Give Us Your Required Reading and We'll Tell You What Movie You Should Watch While You're Procrastinating
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office