Summary & Analysis
Act I, scenes i-iv
Act I, scenes iii-iv; Act II, scenes i-ii
Act II, scenes iii-v
Act III, scenes i-iv
Act III, scenes v-vii; Act IV, scenes i-ii
Act IV, scenes iii-iv; Act V, scenes i-iv
Act V, scene v
Full Book Quiz
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. Cymbeline is the king of what country?
2. Whom does Cymbeline want his daughter, Imogen, to marry?
3. Whom does Imogen marry instead?
4. Before he goes into exile, what does Posthumus give Imogen?
5. After being exiled, Posthumus goes to what country?
6. The Queen believes that Cornelius has given her a poison, but really he has given her what?
A strong sleeping potion
A cordial, to take when one is sick
7. Iachimo and Posthumus make a wager on whether or not Iachimo will be able to do what?
Seduce the Queen
Defeat Posthumus in a duel
Defeat Philario in a duel
8. In order to gain entrance to Imogen's bedroom, Iachimo conceals himself in what?
A trap door
A secret passage
9. While Imogen sleeps, Iachimo emerges from hiding and:
Steals her ring
Steals her bracelet
10. Convinced that Imogen has betrayed him, Posthumus decides to do what?
Have her killed
Seduce a woman in Italy
11. When Imogen learns that her husband thinks her unfaithful, Pisanio convinces her to do what?
Disguise herself as a boy and go in search of Posthumus
Sleep with Iachimo
12. While in disguise, Imogen takes what name?
13. Lost in the wilderness, whose cave does Imogen comes upon?
Guiderius, Arviragus, and Belarius's
The god Jupiter's
14. What is the true identity of Guiderius and Arviragus?
They are Cymbeline's long-lost sons and Imogen's brothers.
They are Belarius's long-lost sons and Pisanio's brothers.
They are the Queen's exiled sons.
They are Posthumus's long-lost brothers.
15. What is the result of the fight between Guiderius and Cloten?
Cloten kills Guiderius.
Guiderius beheads Cloten.
They fight to a draw.
16. What leads Guiderius, Arviragus, and Belarius to believe that Imogen is dead?
She has become very ill and passed out.
She has thrown herself off a cliff.
She has taken the Queen's sleeping potion.
She has disappeared.
17. When Imogen awakes from her sleep, she believes that the dead body beside her is __, when in fact it is ___.
18. Rome and Britain go to war because Cymbeline refuses to do what?
Abdicate the throne
Marry Imogen to the Roman general, Caius Lucius
Swear allegiance to Augustus Caesar
19. When the Romans invade, what does Imogen do?
She becomes a page to Caius Lucius.
She takes up arms against the invaders.
She returns to her father's court.
She hides in the wilderness.
20. Arriving with the Roman army, Posthumus is grief-stricken because he thinks that:
Imogen is dead, at his orders
Imogen has married Cloten
Iachimo and Imogen are lovers
Rome will conquer his native land
21. What happens when the two armies meet?
The Britons and Romans fight to a draw.
The Romans are defeated.
The Britons are defeated.
Cymbeline makes peace with the Romans.
22. The tide of battle is turned by the intervention of whom?
Posthumus and Imogen
Guiderius, Arviragus, and Belarius
23. After fighting valiantly for Britain, what does Posthumus do?
He changes into a Roman uniform and fights for Rome.
He rides into town hailed as a hero by the Britons.
He changes into a Roman uniform and is taken prisoner by the Britons.
He goes immediately to see Cymbeline.
24. After the battle, what does Cymbeline do?
He frees the Roman prisoners and agrees to resume the tribute.
He has Caius Lucius executed.
He orders Iachimo arrested.
25. How does the play end?
Posthumus and Imogen commit suicide.
Posthumus and Imogen are reunited, and the treacherous Iachimo is executed.
Posthumus and Imogen are reunited, and the elderly Cymbeline dies content.
Posthumus and Imogen are reunited, and all discover the true identity of Arviragus and Guiderius.
From the SparkNotes Blog
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from
Can You Say Awkward?
Can You Say Awkward?
BEHOLD: Our 20 Most Popular Quizzes
Pick 5 Fictional Couples and We'll Tell You if Your Relationship is Doomed