1. Is Lear a sympathetic character? What about Gloucester? How do our impressions of them change during the course of the play?
2. Analyze the function that the Fool serves. Why does he disappear from the action?
3. Discuss the relationship between Cordelia and Lear, and compare it to the relationship between Edgar and Gloucester.
4. Of the three villains—Edmund, Goneril, and Regan—who is the most interesting? Why?
5. Discuss the significance of old age and death in King Lear.
6. How does order break down in Britain during the course of the play? Who is to blame?
7. Discuss Edmund. Are we meant to find him sympathetic?
Take a Study Break!