The Devil in the White City is Erik Larson's historical non-fiction book that intertwines the true tale of the 1893 World's Fair and the cunning serial killer who used the fair to lure his victims to their death. Explore a character analysis of Daniel H. Burnham, plot summary, and important quotes.
Read our full plot summary and analysis of The Devil in the White City, scene by scene break-downs, and more.
Summary & Analysis
- Author’s Note and Prologue
- Part I: Frozen Music (Chapters 1-4)
- Part I: Frozen Music (Chapters 5-10)
- Part II: An Awful Fight (Chapters 11-15)
- Part II: An Awful Fight (Chapters 16-21)
- Part II: An Awful Fight (Chapters 22-25)
- Part III: In the White City (Chapters 26-31)
- Part III: In the White City (Chapters 32-37)
- Part III: In the White City (Chapters 38-42)
- Part III: In the White City (Chapters 43-47)
- Part IV: Cruelty Revealed (Chapters 48-53)
- Epilogue: The Last Crossing
Find the quotes you need to support your essay, or refresh your memory of the book by reading these key quotes.
Test your knowledge of The Devil in the White City with quizzes about every section, major characters, themes, symbols, and more.
- Full Book Quiz
Go further in your study of The Devil in the White City with background information, movie adaptations, and links to the best resources around the web.