The Devil in the White City is Erik Larson's historical non-fiction book that intertwines the true tale of the 1893 World's Fair and the cunning serial killer who used the fair to lure his victims to their death. Explore a character analysis of Daniel H. Burnham, plot summary, and important quotes.
Read a Plot Overview of the entire book or a chapter by chapter Summary and Analysis.
Summary & Analysis
- Author’s Note and Prologue
- Part I: Frozen Music (Chapters 1-4)
- Part I: Frozen Music (Chapters 5-10)
- Part II: An Awful Fight (Chapters 11-15)
- Part II: An Awful Fight (Chapters 16-21)
- Part II: An Awful Fight (Chapters 22-25)
- Part III: In the White City (Chapters 26-31)
- Part III: In the White City (Chapters 32-37)
- Part III: In the White City (Chapters 38-42)
- Part III: In the White City (Chapters 43-47)
- Part IV: Cruelty Revealed (Chapters 48-53)
- Epilogue: The Last Crossing
Find the quotes you need to support your essay, or refresh your memory of the book by reading these key quotes.
PurchaseGo to BN.com to get your copy of these helpful resources.
Take a Study Break
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Honest Names for All the Books on Your English Syllabus
Pick 5 Books and We'll Tell You What Netflix Show You Should Binge-Watch This Summer
QUIZ: Can You Identify the Shakespeare Play By Its Most Popular Quote?
Every Marvel Movie Summed Up in a Single Sentence
QUIZ: Are You a Hero, a Villain, or an Anti-Hero?
Pick 10 Books and We'll Guess Whether You're an Introvert or an Extrovert