Black Lives Matter.
Support the Equal Justice Initiative.
Created with Sketch.
Created with Sketch.
The Early Years to the Academy
Assos and Macedonia
Biology and Psychology
Ethics and Politics
Poetics and Rhetoric
Death and Legacy
Suggestions for Further Reading
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
deals primarily with what genre?
2. What is the term for the consideration of natural ends in explaining phenomena?
3. The work we call
is more properly described as what?
4. What is the term for an argument used in rhetoric that could be reduced logically to a syllogism?
5. What was the favorite example that Aristotle returned to repeatedly in the
6. According to Aristotle, which of the following is not one of the six elements of the tragedy?
7. Which of Aristotle's early works was inspired by the death of a friend?
8. In what capacity did Callisthenes serve under Alexander?
9. Which Academy colleague left with Aristotle after Plato's death and accompanied him in some of his travels?
10. Which of the following was not excluded from citizenship in the
11. Whose niece did Aristotle marry?
12. Who assumed leadership of the Academy after Plato's death?
13. Which is not one of the Four Causes?
14. For which subject is Aristotle least known?
15. Psychologyn as Aristotle understood itn meant the study of what element?
16. What is the most basic kind of soul?
17. What did Aristotle refer to metaphysics as?
18. According to Aristotle, which pair of words is analogous to matter::form?
19. In the pursuit of happiness, what is the highest form of pleasure for a human being, according to Aristotle?
20. How does one acquire virtue, according to Aristotle?
It is innate
21. What is the primary form of association?
22. What is the ultimate form of association?
23. What was Aristotle's attitude toward slavery?
He disapproved strongly
He disapproved reluctantly
He considered it to be against nature
He considered it to be natural
24. Which of the following terms means government by the few?
25. What was the occupation of Aristotle's father?
26. Where did Aristotle perform his early biology research?
27. What caused the break between Aristotle and Alexander?
Alexander's failure to restore Aristotle's native home
Alexander's failure to support Aristotle's research
Alexander's attitude toward the Persians
Alexander's treatment of Thebes
28. To where did Aristotle withdraw after Alexander's death?
29. Where was Aristotle born?
30. Which book is often criticized for being disorganized?
31. What was the name of Aristotle's guardian after his parents' death?
32. Which state ruled Greece for most of Aristotle's adult life?
33. Why did Aristotle write dialogues early in his career?
They were the best way to convey information
No one else was writing straightforward treatises
He was interested in the exchange process rather than the doctrine itself
He was following Plato's model
34. How many children did Aristotle have?
35. On which work of Plato's is
36. What friend of Aristotle died after being tortured for information by the Persians?
37. What were members of Aristotle's Lyceum known as?
38. What two works are considered preliminary to Aristotle's logical treatises?
39. Which book is not one of the four main treatises on natural science?
On the Heavens
40. Which of the following is one of the two central distinctions Aristotle draws between animals?
Viviparous and oviparous
Herbivorous and carnivorous
Sexual and asexual
Aerobic and anaerobic
41. Which of the following is concerned with existence itself?
42. In Book XII of the
how many kinds of substances are there?
43. What are the two imperishable entities?
Motion and space
Space and time
Motion and time
Fire and water
44. The Unmoved Mover must be which of the following?
Actively evolved in human affairs
Infinite in size
Endowed with knowledge of good and evil
45. What is the Greek word for representation, as used in the
46. In what year was Aristotle invited to tutor Alexander?
47. How many times did Aristotle marry?
48. Nicomachus was the name of which of Aristotle's relations?
Father and son
49. What did Aristotle see as the central tension in ethical decisions?
50. What nephew of Aristotle was executed by Alexander?
51. In what year did Aristotle die?
Take a Study Break
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from
Every Book on Your English Syllabus, Summed Up in Marvel Quotes
Pick 9 Fictional Characters and We'll Tell You if You're an Introvert or an Extrovert
Character, Summed Up in a Single Sentence
The 7 Most Messed-Up Short Stories We All Had to Read in School
14 Life-Changing Literary Quotes (That Everyone Always Forgets About)
7 Literary Characters Who Should Have Died But Didn't