Black Lives Matter.
Support the Equal Justice Initiative.
Created with Sketch.
Created with Sketch.
Review of Cell Structure
How to Cite This SparkNote
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. The lipid bilayer is composed primarily of what two biological molecules?
Sugars and fats
Carbohydrates and proteins
Proteins and fats
Sugars and proteins
2. Which of the following eukaryotic intracellular components are not organelles?
3. What is the typical width of the lipid bilayer?
4. Which of the following is the main component of the cytoplasm?
5. Which of the following phrases best matches the definition of the term
6. The cytosol composes up to what percent of a cell's volume?
7. The term
means which of the following?
Repelled by water
Insoluble in water
Attracted to water
8. The function of the cytoskeleton is most similar to the function of what other cellular structure?
9. A molecule that has both polar and nonpolar regions is called ___________.
10. The cytoskeleton is primarily responsible for __________.
11. The most abundant class of lipids found in the lipid bilayer are the ___________.
12. Which of the following are not a cytoskeletal protein filament?
13. What is the name of the process by which plant cells convert light energy into biological energy?
14. Which of the following is not a property of the lipid bilayer?
15. What is the name of the structure around which microtubules grow?
16. Membrane proteins that cannot be easily removed from the cell membrane are called __________.
17. What organelle is responsible for carrying out photosynthesis?
18. Which of the cytoskeletal protein filaments has the largest diameter?
19. Membrane proteins that span the entire lipid bilayer are called __________.
20. Which cytoskeletal filament is responsible for forming the nuclear lamina?
21. What configuration does a protein adopt when it crosses the lipid bilayer?
22. Molecules done being processed in the ER are often transported to which structure?
23. The face through which molecules enter the golgi apparatus is called the __________ face.
24. Which cytoskeletal protein filaments line the cell membrane?
25. Which of the following is not a common destination of vesicles secreted from the golgi apparatus?
26. Which of the following best describes the properties of a lipid-bound protein?
Having its tail-end attached to the lipid bilayer
Having its head-end attached to the lipid bilayer
Being entirely located in the lipid bilayer
Being loosely associated with the lipid bilayer
27. Which of the following eukaryotic organelles is primarily responsible for celluar digestion?
28. Which of the following is the largest organelle in eukaryotic cells?
29. Which of the following is not a specialized plant cellular structure?
30. What is the name of the organelle that helps mediate endocytosis and exocytosis?
31. What is the name of the carbohydrate coat found on the outside of the lipid bilayer of higher- order cells cells?
32. What structure in plants replaces the function that the mitochondria performs in animal cells?
33. In eukaryotes, the cell nucleus composes what fraction of the total cell volume?
34. What is the name of the process by which molecules naturally flow from an area of higher concentration to one of lower concentration?
35. Which of the following organelles do not contain a double-membrane?
36. Membrane transport that occurs without the input of extra energy can be classified as what type of transport?
37. The cell nucleus is not found in direct contact with which of the following cellular structures?
38. Membrane transport that requires the input of additional enery is called _________.
39. What is the name of the inner-most space in a mitochondrial cell?
40. Membrane proteins that mediate active transport are generally __________.
41. What is the main function of the mitochondria?
42. The mitochondrial matrix is analogous to which structure in plant chloroplasts?
43. Membrane proteins that mediate passive transport are generally _________.
44. Which eukaryotic organelle contains oxidizing enzymes?
45. What is a typical thickness for a cell wall?
46. __________ are a class of membrane proteins that increase a cell's permeability to certain ions.
47. __________ endoplasmic reticulum has ribosomes attached to its outer membrane.
48. Vacuoles can occupy up to what percent of plant cells?
49. Membrane transport is important for which of the following biological processes?
Maintenance of cellular pH
All of the above
50. The ER plays a major role in the processing of which of the following biological molecules?
51. Which of the following is not a normal function of plant cell vacuoles?
Review of Cell Structure
Take a Study Break
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from
Every Book on Your English Syllabus, Summed Up in Marvel Quotes
Pick 9 Fictional Characters and We'll Tell You if You're an Introvert or an Extrovert
Character, Summed Up in a Single Sentence
The 7 Most Messed-Up Short Stories We All Had to Read in School
14 Life-Changing Literary Quotes (That Everyone Always Forgets About)
7 Literary Characters Who Should Have Died But Didn't