Summary & Analysis
Important Quotations Explained
Full Book Quiz
Analysis of Major Characters
Themes, Motifs, and Symbols
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. Which of the following is not a reason for Prometheus's punishment?
He does not love Zeus
He stole fire from the gods
He planned to depose Zeus
He loved human beings too much
2. Which character does not appear in the play?
3. Which of these was least likely to influence Aeschylus in writing the play?
Personal dislike of Zeus as a result of too much praying as a child
New philosophical ideas that did not leave room for gods
The establishment of a democracy in Athens
Intense cultural activity in Athens
4. Prometheus prophesies which of the following?
He will save Zeus from destruction
Zeus will be destroyed
Io's descendant will free him
All of the above
5. Which of the following do not contribute to the image of Zeus as a tyrant?
Imagery of the yoke and harness
The names of Zeus's servants
A list of Zeus's offenses against human beings
Claims that Zeus does not have pity
6. Zeus has servants whose names mean each of the following except
All of the above are names of Zeus's servants
7. Kratus states that Hephaestus should hate Prometheus because
Prometheus is not a god
Prometheus wants the gods to hate him
Prometheus has a misshapen head
Otherwise Zeus might punish him
8. Whom has Zeus punished or threatened to punish?
All of the above
9. When does Prometheus propose to reveal his prophecy to Zeus?
When he is freed from his shackles
When Zeus asks nicely
When his heart has softened
When the fat lady sings
10. Which of the following does not contribute to the impression that Oceanus is not fully sincere in his desire to help Prometheus?
He does not get off his flying beast while talking
He tells the Chorus that Prometheus cannot be saved
Prometheus does not tell him nearly as much as he tells the Chorus and Io
He gives advice without first asking any questions
11. What did Prometheus do when Zeus fought the Titans?
Helped the Titans plan their assault
Sat on the sidelines and watched
Helped Zeus repel the attackers
Stole fire while everyone was busy fighting
12. Prometheus does not teach human beings how to
13. In what order does Prometheus list the metals he taught humanity to mine?
Bronze, iron, silver, gold
Gold, silver, iron, bronze
Iron, silver, bronze, gold
It's not clear from the text and no one cares anyway
14. All of the following landmarks are named after Io except
The Aegean Sea
The Ionian Sea
All of the above were named after Io
15. Which of the following is not part of Prometheus's future punishment?
An eagle will come daily to eat his liver
Heracles will shoot him with an arrow
He will be entombed in the rock and drawn underground
He cannot be freed unless a god agrees to die for him
16. According to Hephaestus, why is Zeus so harsh in his punishments?
He is bloodthirsty
He wants revenge against those who tormented him
He is manic-depressive
He is a new ruler
17. Io is pursued by
The Red Devils
The ghost of Argos
18. Io's descendants will not include
Kings of Argos
19. The Oceanids defy Hermes when he orders them to
Go find their father
Leave Prometheus alone
Help tighten Prometheus's bonds
Pray to Zeus for forgiveness
20. Prometheus learned his prophecies from
The world's only working eight ball
21. Which of the following does Hermes compare Prometheus to?
The rock he is chained to
A blind man
22. Which of the following does the Chorus not endorse?
Marrying Olympian gods
23. When asked why he is being punished, Prometheus always does which of the following?
Immediately describes his theft of fire in detail
Stalls for a while and then answers very briefly
Abruptly ends the conversation
Makes up a story about getting tangled in these chains during a hunting trip
24. With regard to his punishment, which of the following does Prometheus claim?
That he knew about it in advance
That he did not realize that he would be punished
That he wanted to suffer in solidarity with his brothers
That he will never be freed from it
25. Which of the following probably concluded the original Prometheus trilogy?
Prometheus is freed and Zeus is overthrown
Prometheus is not freed and Zeus is not overthrown
Prometheus is freed and Zeus is not overthrown
Prometheus is not freed and Zeus is overthrown
Context Quick Quiz
Prometheus Bound: Popular pages
Prometheus: Character Analysis
Important Quotations Explained
Take a Study Break
Great American Novels, Ranked from "Pretty Great, Actually" to "Meh"
Nov 15, 2019
7 Insanely Bizarre Lessons from Classic Novels
Nov 11, 2019
As Told in a Series of Texts
Nov 1, 2019
5 Famous Books That Got Away with Gigantic Plot Holes
Nov 12, 2019
QUIZ: Can You Guess the Classic Novel from a Single Paragraph?
Nov 14, 2019