Please enter valid Email
Please enter Password
Don't have an account?
Created with Sketch.
Summary & Analysis
Act I - Part One
Act I - Part Two
Act II - Part One
Act II - Part Two
Act III - Part One
Act III - Part Two
Act IV - Part One
Act IV - Part Two
Ivan “Vanya” Voynitsky
Full Book Quiz
Act 1 - Part One
Act 1 - Part Two
Act 2 - Part One
Act 2 - Part Two
Act 3 - Part One
Act 3 - Part Two
Act 4 - Part One
Act 4 - Part Two
Analysis of Major Characters
Themes, Motifs, and Symbols
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. Telegin is known as "Waffles" because..
of his waffling temperament
of his rigid breakfast menu
of his complexion
of his comportment
2. What do Sonya and Astrov consider so "infectious" about Yelena?
3. Who inherited the estate upon Vera Petrovna's death?
4. What does Astrov show Yelena in Act III?
5. Yelena is trained in what instrument?
6. Marina dubs Voynitsky what species of fowl?
7. Throughout the play, we hear the tapping of whom?
8. Astrov has recently treated an outbreak of what disease?
9. Astrov is repeated described as
is based on which earlier play of Chekhov's?
The Water Sprite
The Wood Demon
11. How does Yelena consider her role in her life?
As that of a tragic heroine
As that of budding cabaret star
As that of an accidental character
As that of an incidental character
12. What is Vanya's name in French?
13. Who does Voynitsky kill in Act III?
14. Along with Ibsen and Strindberg, Chekhov is known as a pioneer of what device?
15. Why have Yelena and Sonya had a longstanding conflict?
Because Yelena loves Astrov
Because Yelena loves Serebryakov
Because Yelena does not love Serebryakov
Because Yelena does not love Voynitsky
16. In Act II, Sonya makes Astrov promise to renounce
17. In Act I, Astrov remarks on which of his body parts?
His colossal nose
His colossal finger
His colossal moustache
His colossal feet
18. In Act III, Voynitsky accuses Yelena of having the blood of a
19. "Sonya" is a variant on the Greek name for
20. Who appears drunk in this play?
21. Astrov first appears in Act II without
22. What is the play's subtitle
Scenes from Life in the Woods
Scenes from the Provinces
Scenes from Country Life in Four Acts
Scenes from the Country Estate in Four Acts
23. What in particular of Serebryakov does Voynitsky avowedly envy?
His kind daughter
His leisurely lifestyle
His success in the academy
His success with women
24. When is the play set?
25. Which of Chekhov's plays is published almost contemporaneously with
The Cherry Orchard
The Sea Gull
The Wood Demon
Plot Overview Quick Quiz
Uncle Vanya: Popular pages
Ivan “Vanya” Voynitsky: Character Analysis
Take a Study Break
QUIZ: How Many of These Literary
Questions Can You Answer Correctly?
Jan 14, 2020
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Dec 27, 2019
Greek Mythology as Told in a Series of Texts
Jan 16, 2020
Pick 10 Books and We'll Guess Whether You're an Introvert or an Extrovert
Jan 7, 2020
QUIZ: Who Said it, Kylo Ren or Hamlet?
Dec 18, 2019