All the King's Men
All the King's Men
Robert Penn Warren
Summary & Analysis
Full Book Quiz
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. What is Willie's position when he first meets Jack?
State Tax Assessor
Treasurer of Mason County
2. Why does Jack's mother come home early the night Jack nearly sleeps with Anne Stanton?
To call Judge Irwin
She suspects what Jack and Anne intend to do
3. How does Willie defeat the impeachment attempt?
By withdrawing his support from Byram White
By blackmailing the legislators who want to impeach him
By bribing Gummy Larson to call off MacMurfee
By promising to lower taxes
4. Why does Judge Irwin accept the bribe?
To cover gambling debts
To buy a house in Europe
To fund his campaign for governor
To save his plantation
5. Why does Jack marry Lois?
She is rich and socially connected
She is his mother's choice
She is beautiful and good in bed
She is pregnant
6. Why is Tom Stark always in the papers?
He is an All-American quarterback for State
He is a champion golfer
He is running for Senate
He has a newspaper column
7. Who helps Willie overcome his first hangover?
Tiny Duffy and Sugar-Boy
Lucy Stark and Sadie Burke
Jack Burden and Sugar-Boy
Sadie Burke and Jack Burden
8. How does Tiny embarrass himself at the picnic in Upton?
He falls off the stage
He propositions a waitress
He punches the mayor
He crashes Willie's Cadillac
9. What event prompts Annabelle Trice to sell Phebe?
She finds Cass Mastern's gun
She breaks Annabelle's porcelain doll
She finds Duncan Trice's wedding ring
She sells Annabelle's wedding ring to the peddler
10. Who tells Adam Stanton about Willie's affair with Anne Stanton?
11. Where does Jack attend college?
the State University
Jack never goes to college
12. What happens to the child Tom may have fathered with Sibyl Frey?
It is stillborn
It is adopted by Marvin Frey
It is adopted by Lucy Stark
It dies of pneumonia shortly two months after it is born
13. How does Tom Stark die?
He is killed in a car wreck
Pneumonia, after he is paralyzed in a football game
He is shot by Adam Stanton
He is shot by Marvin Frey
14. Who reveals to Jack that Judge Irwin once had a financial crisis?
15. Where does Jack go when he learns about Anne's affair with Willie?
He drives to a brothel in New Orleans
He drives to Duncan Trice's old mansion
He drives west, to Long Beach, California
He drives north, to see his sister in Boston
16. With what metaphor does Jack portray his philosophy that no one is responsible for anything?
The Great Twitch
The Great Tic
The Great Sleep
The Great Disappointment
17. Where does Lucy go after she leaves Willie?
Long Beach, California, then Mason City
New Orleans, then her sister's house in the city
St. Augustine, then her sister's poultry farm
Lucy never leaves Willie
18. Who is Jack's father?
The Young Executive
The Scholarly Attorney
19. What does Jack do before divorcing Lois?
He sleeps with her best friend
He finds her with Willie
He enters into a period of the Great Sleep
He gives her a check for $5,000
20. Where do Jack and Anne live at the end of the novel?
Jack's mother's house
Willie's house in Mason City
the Governor's Mansion
Judge Irwin's house
21. Where does the specialist who looks at Tom's injury come from?
22. Who does Willie campaign for after he loses his first gubernatorial election?
23. Why does Hugh Miller resign?
He disapproves of Willie's drinking
To protest the tax rate
He disapproves of Willie's decision to protect Byram White
To protest Willie's hiring of Jack
24. Who usually drives Willie's Cadillac?
25. Who does Willie say he will name the new hospital after?
26. What tragedy propels Willie's political career?
The school shooting in Mason City
The collapse of the school fire escape in Mason City
The school fire in Upton
The murder at the Upton picnic
From the SparkNotes Blog
7 Disturbing Details from Classic Novels (That You Probably Don't Remember)
Classic Novels Summed Up in
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
In Defense of Daisy Buchanan
5 Famous Books Whose Original Titles Would Have Changed Everything