Pride and Prejudice is a novel by Jane Austen that was first published in 1813. Read the full text of the novel and explore an in-depth character analysis of Elizabeth Bennet, a plot summary, and important quotes.
Read our full plot summary and analysis of Pride and Prejudice, chapter-by-chapter breakdowns, and more.
Read a complete list of characters from Pride and Prejudice, and in-depth analyses of Elizabeth Bennet, Mr. Darcy, and more.
Here's where you'll find analysis of the literary devices in Pride and Prejudice, from the major themes to motifs, symbols, and more.
Questions & Answers
Explore our selection of frequently asked questions about Pride and Prejudice and find the answers you need.
- Why does Charlotte Lucas marry Mr. Collins?
- Why is Lizzy Mr. Bennet’s favorite daughter?
- Why does Darcy dislike Wickham?
- Why does Lizzy form a negative first impression of Darcy?
- Why does Lizzy reject Darcy’s first proposal to her?
- What is the significance of the novel’s opening line?
- According to Mr. Darcy, what qualities make a woman “accomplished”?
- What role do letters play in the novel?
- What is revealed about the characters after Elizabeth rejects Mr. Collins’s proposal?
- How is the novel a critique of the social norms of its time?
- How are Mr. and Mrs. Bennet different?
- What is entailment, and what role does it play in the novel?
- Who is Lady Catherine de Bourgh, and how does she influence the plot?
- Why does Wickham lie to Elizabeth?
- What role does prejudice play in the novel?
Find the quotes you need to support your essay, or refresh your memory of Pride and Prejudice by reading these key quotes.
Test your knowledge of Pride and Prejudice with quizzes about every section, major characters, themes, symbols, and more.
Get ready to ace your Pride and Prejudice paper with our suggested essay topics, helpful essays about historical and literary context, a sample A+ student essay, and more.
Go further in your study of Pride and Prejudice with background information, movie adaptations, and links to the best resources around the web.