Theories of Development
Infancy and Childhood
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. Which of these theorists believed that people develop through a series of stages related to age?
All of the above
2. Mark stole a bar of chocolate from a convenience store when he was very hungry. He doesn’t think he did anything wrong since no one noticed him stealing. Mark is probably in which of Kohlberg’s stages of moral development?
None of the above
3. What is maturation?
The difference between girls and boys in the timing of puberty
Genetically programmed growth and development
The ability to focus simultaneously on several aspects of a problem
The reaction infants display when separated from people to whom they are attached
4. What is likely the main conflict faced by an adolescent, according to Erikson?
Autonomy vs. shame and doubt
Generativity vs. self-absorption
Identity vs. role confusion
Integrity vs. despair
5. What did Piaget believe children are incapable of during the preoperational stage of development?
All of the above
6. During which stage are teratogens most dangerous?
7. A baby becomes upset when her mother leaves her temporarily but resists contact with the mother when she returns. According to Ainsworth’s classification, what kind of attachment pattern is this?
A secure attachment
8. What do social clocks indicate?
The life events, behaviors, and issues that are typical for a particular age
The ages at which children develop specific social skills
The age at which Erikson’s sixth stage of psychosocial development would be likely to occur
When individuals are likely to reach Kohlberg’s final stage of moral development
9. What is the primary root of temperament?
10. Which of the following is true of many people as they age?
They experience a loss of neurons in the brain
They experience a decline in crystallized intelligence
They gain a better sense of well-being
A and C
Development: Popular pages
Take a Study Break
Great American Novels, Ranked from "Pretty Great, Actually" to "Meh"
Nov 15, 2019
7 Insanely Bizarre Lessons from Classic Novels
Nov 11, 2019
6 Iconic Fictional Villains (Who Were Actually Pretty Bad at Being Villains)
Nov 18, 2019
As Told in a Series of Texts
Nov 1, 2019
QUIZ: Can You Guess the Classic Novel from a Single Paragraph?
Nov 14, 2019