Please enter valid Email
Please enter Password
Don't have an account?
Created with Sketch.
The Two Gentlemen of Verona
Summary & Analysis
Act I, scene i
Act I, scenes ii-iii
Act II, scenes i-ii
Act II, scenes iii-iv
Act II, scenes v-vi
Act II, scene vii
Act III, scenes i-ii
Act IV, Scenes i-ii
Act IV, scenes iii-iv
Act V, scenes i-iii
Act V, scene iv
Analysis and Themes
Full Book Quiz
Act 1, scene i
Act 1, scenes ii-iii
Act 2, scenes i-ii
Act 2, scenes iii-iv
Act 2, scenes v-vi
Act 2, scene vii
Act 3, scenes i-ii
Act 4, Scenes i-ii
Act 4, scenes iii-iv
Act 5, scenes i-iii
Act 5, scene iv
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How To Cite No Fear The Two Gentlemen of Verona
How to Cite This SparkNote
Full Book Quiz
Full Book Quiz
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. The opening scene is set in
2. On what subject does Julia ask Lucetta to advise her?
How to sew her bridal nightgown
Which suitor she should fall in love with
How to elope with Proteus
How to deceive her father so as to marry Thurio
3. Why does Valentine leave Verona?
To search for his true love
To become a sailor
To become a wiser, more worldly man
To make his fortune in the New World
4. Which of the following is true of Proteus?
He lies to his father and says that he is reading a letter from Valentine, when it is really a letter from Julia.
He lies to his father about wanting to go to the Emperor's court, when he really doesn't want to go.
He lies to his father about getting a servant girl pregnant, when he and the servant girl are actually secretly married.
He lies to his father about a secret pact that he made with Valentine, saying it was only a silly gentlemen's agreement.
5. What do Julia and Proteus exchange before Proteus' departure?
Locks of hair
6. When in disguise, what is Julia's name?
7. How does Valentine plan to elope with Silvia?
By climbing into her room via a ladder made of cord
By lying to her father about his possessions
By pretending to kidnap her with a band of outlaws
By giving her a potion that will make her appear dead
8. Which of the following is NOT proof of this play's early composition and hence immature form?
The late introduction of the character Launce
The simplistic dialogue structure
The satisfying ending
The confusion over whether or not the Duke is a Duke or an Emperor
9. What options do the bandits give Valentine?
To rob Silvia's father or be killed
To give away his dog or be killed
To dress as a woman or be killed
To be their ruler or be killed
10. Who does Silvia ask to accompany her on her visit to Valentine?
11. What is Launce's dog's name?
12. Why does Silvia's father want her to marry Thurio?
He is an honorable knight.
He is rich.
He is in line for the throne.
He knows about the Duke's checkered past.
13. What does Proteus claim to value more than anything else?
14. In the play's finale, what does Valentine do to show Proteus that he is forgiven?
Tells him he can marry Silvia
Spares his life from the outlaws
Gives him Crab
Makes him a knight
15. What happens, as a result, to Sebastian?
He is killed.
He marries Julia.
He joins the outlaws.
16. What happens next to Sebastian?
His true identity is revealed.
He tells the Duke of Thurio's dishonesty.
He marries Julia.
He gives the play's final soliloquy.
17. What is a foil?
A character that ruins, or foils, other characters' plots
A character that narrates the play
A character that most represents the author
A character that, by contrast, illustrates the qualities of another character.
18. Who is Proteus' servant?
19. What is the significance of the forest?
Fairies inhabit it.
It is a place where the social structure is suspended.
It symbolizes Paganism.
All the plays-within-a-play take place there.
20. How exactly does the Duke "find" out about Valentine's plans to elope with Silvia?
He threatens Valentine.
Proteus gives him an anonymous note.
He tries on Valentine's cloak and finds a letter inside.
Thurio tells him about a dream he had.
21. Which character is most dedicated to his beloved?
Proteus to Julia
Sebastian to Launce
Launce to Crab
Sebastian to Silvia
22. What does Thurio do when bandits attack him and Silvia?
He stays and fights.
He runs away quickly.
He dresses up in Silvia's clothes and pretends to be an innocent woman.
He curses like a sailor.
23. Which of the following does NOT describe Launce's beloved:
Fond of liquor
24. Which of the following does NOT describe Crab:
Is prone to urinate in public
Is unsympathetic when Launce is sad
Defends his owner against bandits
Is of a mutt breeding
25. What wish does Valentine ask his future father-in-law to bestow for him?
To punish Thurio
To forgive Proteus
To forgive the gentlemen bandits for their illegal behavior
To punish the bandits
Context Quick Quiz
The Two Gentlemen of Verona: Popular pages
No Fear The Two Gentlemen of Verona
Take a Study Break
QUIZ: How Many of These Literary
Questions Can You Answer Correctly?
Jan 14, 2020
5 Books Whose Original Titles Would Have Changed Life as We Know It
Jan 17, 2020
Greek Mythology as Told in a Series of Texts
Jan 16, 2020
Pick 10 Books and We'll Guess Whether You're an Introvert or an Extrovert
Jan 7, 2020
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Dec 27, 2019