The Structure of Congress
The Powers of Congress
The Functions of Congress
The Legislative Process
Readings and Links
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. True or false: Parties play a key role in structuring Congress.
2. True or false: A committee that reconciles different versions of a bill passed by the Senate and the House, and issues a single bill for the two houses to vote on, is referred to as a select committee.
3. What is a caucus?
A formal meeting of members of one political party
A committee with members of both houses of Congress
An informal meeting of members of Congress with shared interests
Part of a congressional committee
4. Which of the following committee types is a permanent one formed to deal with an issue of ongoing importance?
5. What does GAO stand for?
General Admissions Office
Government Accounting Office
General Acquisitions Office
Government Accountability Office
6. What is incumbency advantage?
Committee members tend to support the committee chair.
Incumbent members of Congress overwhelmingly win reelection bids.
Incumbent members of Congress have a hard time winning reelection.
Incumbent members of Congress usually do not run for reelection.
7. Which of the following constitutes a pocket veto?
Congress fails to pass a bill.
The president gives no reason for vetoing a bill.
The president fails to sign a bill for ten days, and Congress is in session.
The president fails to sign a bill for ten days, and Congress is not in session because it adjourned.
Congress: Popular pages
Take a Study Break
Literary Characters Summed Up in Quotes from
Sep 19, 2019
The 7 Most Messed-Up Short Stories We All Had to Read in School
Oct 10, 2019
Shakespeare Quotes That Would Make Hilarious Titles for Your Memoir
Oct 17, 2019
Campus Life at 100 of the Best Colleges, Summed Up in a Single Sentence
Aug 22, 2019
QUIZ: Is This College Class Real or Fake?
Oct 4, 2019