Early Life 1743-1766
Political Tensions 1770-1775
Economic, Social, and Political Reforms 1776-1796
The Revolutionary War 1776-1781
Jefferson in France 1784-1789
Election and Early Presidency 1800-1802
The Presidency 1800-1808
The Louisiana Purchase
Final Years 1809-1826
Key Terms and Events
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. In which colony was Thomas Jefferson born?
2. Which of the following countries does NOT figure in to Jefferson's line of descent?
3. How old was Jefferson when his father died?
4. Where did Jefferson attend college?
College of William and Mary
University of Virginia
5. What was Jefferson's first profession?
6. How old was Jefferson when first named to the House of Burgesses?
7. What was the name of the house that Jefferson constructed on his estate?
8. What was the name of Jefferson's wife?
Martha Wayles Skelton
9. What was the title of Jefferson's first published document?
A Summary View of the Rights of British America
The Declaration of Independence
Notes on the State of Virginia
10. Which of Jefferson's associates famously uttered, "Give me liberty or give me death!"
11. Where was the Second Continental Congress held?
12. Which of the following institutions was NOT attacked by Jefferson in his legislative proposals to the Virginia Assembly?
13. When did Jefferson become governor of Virginia?
14. What foreign power played the strongest role in helping American forces defeat the British in the Revolutionary War?
15. What was the main reason for the Virginia Assembly's investigation of Jefferson in 1781?
16. Which man was NOT one of Jefferson's close associates during his years in Paris?
Marquis de Lafayette
17. What was Jefferson's title in the Washington administration?
Secretary of Defense
Secretary of State
18. Who was Jefferson's chief rival in the Washington administration?
19. What was the name of the party that organized behind Jefferson's political principles?
20. The presidential race of which year did not involve Thomas Jefferson as a candidate?
21. What were the years of Jefferson's presidency?
1796-1800 and 1804-1808
22. What subversive document did Jefferson author while Vice President of the United States?
The Silent Spring
The Kentucky Resolutions
The Alien and Sedition Acts
23. What controversial doctrine formulated by Jefferson was later taken up by Southern secessionists?
Second Law of Thermodynamics
24. In what city did Jefferson serve his two terms as President?
25. What was Jefferson's philosophy of entertaining at dinner parties known as?
26. Who served as Jefferson's Secretary of Treasury?
27. Which state entered the Union during Jefferson's first term as President?
28. What legal principle was established in the
Marbury v. Madison
right of asylum
29. What Chief Justice of the Supreme Court antagonized Jefferson throughout his presidency?
30. What North African principality did the United States engage in an extended war with?
31. Who ruled France during Jefferson's presidency?
King Louis XVI
Charles de Gaulle
32. The United States aided France in their attempt to suppress a slave revolt in which colony?
33. What crucial Mississippi River port city did Jefferson stake his fortunes on?
34. For how much did the United States purchase the Louisiana Territory?
35. From whom did the United States purchase the Louisiana Territory?
An association of native tribes
36. Who served as Jefferson's Vice President during his second term in office?
37. Which future political leader was NOT involved in Burr's conspiracy to secede from the United States?
John C. Calhoun
William Henry Harrison
38. What official eventually betrayed the purpose of Burr's conspiracy to Jefferson?
39. Which statement established Napoleon's claim to French dominance in European seaports?
40. Which British frigate attacked the American ship
41. What American policy suspended all trade with European Nations?
Tariff of Abominations
42. What fellow Virginian was one of Jefferson's harshest critics during his second administration?
43. Who immediately succeeded Jefferson as President?
John Quincy Adams
44. What was the major curse that plagued Jefferson in his retirement?
45. What was the name of Jefferson's second home?
The Octagon House
46. What institution of higher learning did Jefferson play a founding role in?
College of William and Mary
University of Virginia
Virginia Military Institute
47. What personal collection did Jefferson sell to help relieve a portion of his debt?
48. How old was Jefferson when he wrote his autobiography?
49. How was Jefferson's debt eventually resolved?
by gift from a wealthy benefactor
by lottery and forgiveness of outstanding debts
by lottery and auction of possessions
by payment from his descendants
50. Who famously died on the same day as Jefferson, exactly fifty years after the Declaration of Independence?
Take a Study Break
Literary Characters Summed Up in Quotes from
Sep 19, 2019
7 Insanely Bizarre Lessons from Classic Novels
Nov 11, 2019
As Told in a Series of Texts
Nov 1, 2019
Shakespeare Plays Ranked in Order of How Easy They Are to Study
Oct 30, 2019
All the Books on Your English Syllabus Summed Up in Pie Charts
Nov 7, 2019