Please enter valid Email
Please enter Password
Don't have an account?
Created with Sketch.
Angels in America
Summary & Analysis
Millennium Approaches, Act One, Scenes 1–5
Millennium Approaches, Act One, Scenes 6–9
Millennium Approaches, Act Two, Scenes 1–5
Millennium Approaches, Act Two, Scenes 6–10
Millennium Approaches, Act Three, Scenes 1–4
Millennium Approaches, Act Three, Scenes 5–7
Perestroika, Act One
Perestroika, Act Two
Perestroika, Act Three
Perestroika, Act Four, Scenes 1–5
Perestroika, Act Four, Scenes 6–9
Perestroika, Act Five, Scenes 1–5
Perestroika, Act Five, Scenes 6–10 & Epilogue
Important Quotations Explained
Full Book Quiz
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. What favor does Roy perform for the wife of a visiting judge?
He fixes a parking ticket
He arranges theater tickets
He books a hotel room
He offers to meet her bail
2. What is Mr. Lies's profession?
3. Where do Joe and Louis first meet?
At a party
On the steps of the courthouse
In the bathroom
At a funeral
4. What does Prior reveal to Harper when they meet in their mutual dream/hallucination scene?
That her husband is gay
That he has AIDS
That he is a Mormon
That he has been visited by an Angel
5. Which Biblical story does Joe say fascinated him as a child?
Moses and the burning bush
Paul and the angel on the road to Tarsus
The angel visiting Mary
Jacob wrestling the angel
6. Where does Louis meet an anonymous stranger for sex?
At the St. Marks Baths
Under the pier at Jones Beach
In Central Park
In a movie theater
7. What does Roy make Martin Heller do to prove loyalty to him?
Take off his jacket
Name his son after him
Give him the dinner off his plate
Rub his back
8. Who does Joe drunkenly telephone from a pay phone in the middle of the night?
9. Why were Prior I and Prior II selected from among Prior's ancestors to prepare the way for the Angel?
Because they were gay
Because they were bastards
Because they were righteous men
Because they died of the plague
10. What is the name of Belize's favorite paperback novel?
Gone with the Wind
In Love with the Night Mysterious
The Wings of the Angel
I Married a Homosexual
11. Where does the homeless woman in the South Bronx successfully direct Hannah?
The Mormon Visitor's Center
The Hall of Justice
12. What sense does Louis tell Joe is intimately connected to sex?
13. How does Harper say she obtained a pine tree in Prospect Park?
She chewed it down with her teeth
She found it on the ground
She purchased it
She uprooted it with her hands
14. How does Belize cheer up Prior while Henry waits impatiently?
He shares gossip with him
He tells him a joke
He sings with him
He combs his hair
15. Why does Roy blackmail Martin Heller?
To obtain a stash of AIDS drugs
To embarrass the administration
To get money for his treatment
To demonstrate his power to Belize
16. Which of the following is one of the Sacred Prophetic Implements the Angel gives Prior?
A bottle of green liquid
A pair of spectacles
A tiny locket
17. On what day did God abandon Heaven forever?
September 1, 1939
November 22, 1963
June 28, 1914
April 18, 1906
18. How does Joe attempt to prove his love for Louis while they are sitting on the beach?
He gives him a ring
He tells him he has turned down the job in Washington
He removes his temple garment
He kisses him in public
19. How does Prior escape from Joe after their encounter in the courthouse?
By pretending to be a mental patient
By hiding in a broom closet
By telephoning the police
By disguising himself as a woman
20. What is Prior's favorite place in New York City?
The Empire State Building
The War Memorial
The Bethesda Fountain
The Plaza Hotel
21. Why does Louis ultimately turn against Joe?
He learns he has been sleeping with Roy
He sees him at a Republican campaign stop
He learns he is a Mormon
He reads his court decisions
22. Before he dies, what does Roy deceive Ethel into doing that fills him with glee?
Admitting her guilt
Singing to him
Bursting into tears
Breaking into a rage
23. How do Louis and Belize thank Roy for his supply of AZT?
They bring him a single rose
They advise him not to undergo radiation
They close his eyes peacefully
They recite a prayer
24. What does Rabbi Chemelwitz say is the principal form of entertainment in Heaven?
25. Where does Harper depart for at the end of the play?
Salt Lake City
Angels in America: Popular pages
Louis Ironson: Character Analysis
Important Quotations Explained
Take a Study Break
QUIZ: How Many of These Literary
Questions Can You Answer Correctly?
Jan 14, 2020
6 of the Most Messed-Up Books We All Had to Read for School
Jan 23, 2020
QUIZ: What's Your Shakespearean Pick-Up Line?
Jan 20, 2020
Pick 10 Books and We'll Guess Whether You're an Introvert or an Extrovert
Jan 7, 2020
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Dec 27, 2019