Please enter valid Email
Please enter Password
Don't have an account?
Created with Sketch.
Summary & Analysis
Important Quotations Explained
Full Book Quiz
Analysis of Major Characters
Themes, Motifs, and Symbols
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. At the beginning of the play, where is the brothers' mother?
At the grocery store
At the dentist
2. Why does Lee suddenly grab Austin's shirt in the first scene?
Because he does not like the way Austin smells
Because Austin offers to give Lee some extra money
Because Austin insults Lee's haircut
Because they are playing tag
3. Why has Lee come to the house, if not to visit his mother?
To steal appliances from the ritzy neighborhood
To visit Austin
To see his old home one last time
To get a sandwich
4. Where and for how long was Lee before he came to the house?
Prison for four years
The moon for a week
The desert for three months
Zimbabwe for a very long time
5. What sport do Lee and Saul Kimmer decide to play?
6. Why does Lee want the keys to Austin's car?
To case the neighborhood
To drag race
To sell the car
To put sugar in the gas tank
7. "Tornado Country" is:
Where Lee lived in the desert
Where their father lives on the desert
A locale in Lee's ridiculous screenplay idea
Where tornados go to die
8. According to Lee, what kind of people are most prone to violence?
9. How does Lee seal the deal with Saul Kimmer?
10. How does Austin think Lee has sealed the deal with Saul?
11. Why does Austin not want to help with Lee's script?
He has his own script
He does not like to write
He does not know how to read
He only writes for money
12. What does Lee bet Austin cannot steal?
A woman's heart
13. Where has their father lost his false teeth?
At the horse track
At the circus
At a Chinese restaurant
On a plane
14. Where is the woman that Lee tries to call?
15. What is the deal that the brothers settle on describing how Austin will write the script for Lee?
Austin will give Lee some money
Lee will give Austin some money
Lee will take Austin to the desert
Lee will buy Austin some beer
16. Who is on "intimate terms with the prairie"?
The character in Lee's screenplay
17. What is Lee pouring on himself when Mom returns from Alaska?
18. Which artist does Mom think is coming to town?
19. Why does Austin begin to choke Lee?
Lee has something stuck in his throat
Lee has stolen Austin's sandwich
Lee has insulted their mother
Lee is trying to leave without him
20. What predatory animal kills a cocker spaniel in the play?
Another cocker spaniel
A mountain lion
21. Is the old man still alive, and if so, where is he now?
Yes; he still lives in the desert
No; he is dead
Yes; he lives in a retirement home
Yes; he lives in Bakersfield
22. What has Mom missed while in Alaska?
23. What is the final sound of the play?
A lone coyote
A car horn
24. What makes the annoying sound that rises and falls during the play?
The brothers talking
Context Quick Quiz
True West: Popular pages
Austin: Character Analysis
Important Quotations Explained
Take a Study Break
QUIZ: How Many of These Literary
Questions Can You Answer Correctly?
Jan 14, 2020
5 Books Whose Original Titles Would Have Changed Life as We Know It
Jan 17, 2020
Greek Mythology as Told in a Series of Texts
Jan 16, 2020
Pick 10 Books and We'll Guess Whether You're an Introvert or an Extrovert
Jan 7, 2020
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Dec 27, 2019