1. To what extent was the French
nobility responsible for the crisis that destroyed the ancien régime?
2. What role did women play in
the Revolution? Were they simply a reactionary force—as when bread
shortages prompted a march on Versailles—or an active part of the revolutionary
3. To what extent did the Thermidorian
Reaction owe its success to the excesses of Maximilien Robespierre?
4. Make an argument as to which
governmental arrangement—monarchial rule, the National Assembly’s
constitutional monarchy, the National Convention’s republic, or
the Directory—was best suited to revolutionary France.
5. What problems in France and
beyond contributed to the rise of Napoleon Bonaparte?