1. Why does Doc Hata place so much importance on his reputation in Bedley Run?
2. How does the end of Doc Hata’s relationship with K compare to the loss of Sunny?
3. In what sense is Doc Hata “perfectly suited” to Bedley Run, as he puts it in Chapter 13?
4. What keeps Doc Hata from acting spontaneously out of love?
5. How does Doc Hata’s relationship with his own adoptive parents influence the expectation he has for his relationship with Sunny?
6. What does Doc Hata mean at the end of the novel when he says he “will be outside looking in”?