Created with Sketch.
Created with Sketch.
Section 1: Growing Up
Section 2: Beginnings of Puritanism
Section 3: The Young Businessman, Lawyer and Noble
Section 4: The Decision
Section 5: The Journey
Section 6: Settling In
Section 7: The Foundations of Colonial Government
Section 8: God and Massachusetts
Section 9: Antinomianism
Section 10: Wars and Civil Governance
Suggestions for Further Reading
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. The arrival of which ship helped save the Massachusetts Bay colony during the first winter?
2. Winthrop served as lawyer in which royal court?
Court of Business Enterprise
Court of Wards and Liveries
Groton District Court
3. Which King broke with the Roman Catholic Church?
4. Massachusetts Bay warred with which Indian tribe?
5. After being banishing from Massachusetts Bay Roger Williams fled to which New England settlement?
Narragansett Bay, RI
6. Which Massachusetts Bay colony hired Roger Williams as pastor, much to Winthrop's dismay?
7. How many settlers died during the winter of 1630–1631?
8. What was the name of Anne Hutchinson's brother-in-law, whomher supporters tried to elect to the Boston church?
9. Under whose reign did Winthrop leave England?
10. Where did Winthrop study law?
London School of Law
11. After how many years of college was Winthrop married to Mary Forth?
12. In which order was Winthrop married?
Mary Forth, Margaret Tyndal, Tomasine Clopton, Martha Rainsborough Coytmore
Margaret Tyndal, Martha Rainsborough Coytmore, Tomasine Clopton, Margaret Tyndall
Mary Forth, Tomasine Clopton, Margaret Tyndal, Martha Rainsborough Coytmore
Martha Rainsborough Coytmore, Mary Forth, Margaret Tyndal, Tomasine Clopton
13. Which colony did Winthrop's son, John, Jr., eventually govern?
14. Winthrop's grandfather sold what before he bought the Groton estate?
15. Who beat Winthrop for governor in 1634?
16. Winthrop House at Harvard College is named for which founder of the Massachusetts Bay colony?
Governor John Bradford
17. The Massachusetts Bay Charter lacked what important detail?
The King's signature
Where the colony was supposed to be located
The name of the colony
Where the colony would be headquartered
18. Winthrop and his fellow emigrants landed at which settlement in 1630?
19. What prompted Winthrop to move to Boston?
Impure drinking water
More grazing for cattle
Better defense against Indians
20. Anne Hutchinson's beliefs threatened which Puritan belief?
The One True Church doctrine
21. Which document became the legal code for the Massachusetts Bay colony?
Body of Liberties
Declaration of Independence
Articles of Confederation
22. On the crossing to New England, the settlers worried about which disease?
23. When he left for the New World, Winthrop and his wife agreed to think of each other at what time of day?
24. Which body governed the Massachusetts Bay colony?
The General Court
Council of Elders
Assembly of Freemen
25. By precedent, which group of settlers were prohibited from holding office?
26. Anne Hutchinson believed that ministers were possessed by what?
Covenant of Grace
Covenant of Lucifer
Covenant of Heaven
Covenant of Works
27. Which sermon by Winthrop laid out his religious beliefs for the colony?
Model of Christian Charity
Land of the Pure
Hellfire and Brimstone
28. Which early settler did Winthrop hold up a model for his fellow Puritans when they landed in 1630?
29. Winthrop was born in the same year as which major event?
The Babington Plot
The French "Terror"
Landing of the Pilgrims at Plymouth
30. The Puritans believed which church to be corrupt?
Church of England
31. What event caused Winthrop to reproach the leader of Salem?
The town's failure to pay taxes in 1634.
The 1637 Indian massacre
The hiring of Roger Williams as pastor
The sheltering of murderer Howard Breadman
32. Nearby Plymouth was governed by which man?
33. Why did a group of settlers raise opposition to Winthrop's governorship in 1640?
He had ordered their cows slaughtered.
He might become a despot.
He tried to break free of England.
He tried to move the colony to Rhode Island.
34. Roger Williams arrived on which ship?
35. How many settlers arrived in June 1630?
36. Which group of legislators tried to "save" England from ruin in the 1620s?
37. How many founders voted against Winthrop as governor in 1629?
38. Which Catholic sympathizer succeeded Elizabeth I as king of England?
39. Under Arminianism what could people do?
Determine their own destiny
Marry two wives
Disavow the king's divine right
Divorce a spouse
40. In the 1620s Winthrop served as what?
as a member of Parliament
as counsel to Parliament
as a lawyer at Gray's Inn
as a house master at Trinity College
41. Which of the following was not a sin in the Puritan faith?
Bathing on Sundays
Drinking at meals
42. Original sin refers to what?
A person's first sin
Eve and the apple
43. Winthrop attended which college?
44. Winthrop served as governor for how many years?
45. Winthrop debated which preacher after the preacher declared that the Catholic Church and the Church of England were "true" churches?
46. Winthrop wrote which book while in Massachusetts Bay?
War and Peace
The Journal of John Winthrop, 1630–1649
47. Winthrop oversaw what aspect of the Groton estate starting at age eighteen?
48. What almost forced Winthrop into bankruptcy in the 1640s?
his assistant's debts
buying a ship
expanding his estate into Rhode Island
building a new church
49. How many fled the colony in the spring of 1631?
Take a Study Break
60 Young Adult Movie Adaptations, Ranked
Feb 20, 2020
7 Dirty Jokes in Shakespeare's Plays You Won't Believe Your Teacher Let You Read
Feb 17, 2020
7 Classic Novels We Know We Shouldn't Hate (But Secretly Do)
Feb 26, 2020
QUIZ: Is This a Panic! at the Disco Song, or
Feb 21, 2020
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Dec 27, 2019