Sometimes knowing you’re the Chosen One isn’t as easy as being told, straight-up, that you’re destined for greater things. Sometimes knowing you’re the Chosen One means picking up on subtle clues and slowly coming to terms with the fact that you’re the prince that was promised, or the anointed one, or The Foretold. If even one of the following things has happened to you, you should probably buckle up, because you’ve got a date with destiny.
1. You pulled a sword out of something dense, practically by accident.
2. A higher power is sending you visions.
3. One or both of your parents are dead, and you only vaguely know what happened to them.
4. You witnessed someone’s murder, and they whispered their secrets to you on their last dying breath.
5. You’re having vivid dreams that foretell a coming battle.
6. A janitor, mechanic, or some other blue-collar workman says something to you that you don’t understand. You look back to clarify his statement, only to discover that he has vanished. He’s probably an ancient deity or a genie or a wizard, but you won’t figure this out until later.
7. An evil dictator is killing everyone you care about.
8. You’re the only one who can ride the dragon.
9. You’re the glue that holds together this ragtag bunch of misfits.
10. Some sort of higher power is refusing to teach you the skills you need because it’s not yet time.
11. You’re the figurehead of a rebellion that you never wanted to be a part of.
12. You’ve suffered a terrible loss.
13. You’re just a regular farmhand, or a stable boy, or an orphan, or some other average Joe. There’s no way you could be a hero!
14. Conversely, you just want to be normal.
15. The town elder is telling you you’re destined for something greater.
16. Your friend group is chock full of sidekicks.
17. You have a scar from some sort of mishap in your youth that you don’t actually know that much about.
18. Your parents are hiding a terrible secret.
19. A comet is coming—and with it, a growing dread.
20. Someone is telling you that the stars have aligned.
21. There is a price to pay.
22. Everyone has been waiting for you.
23. Your once-dormant powers are now growing but you can’t control them.
24. You’ve been ostracized by society for something that’s not your fault, though this won’t be revealed until much later—and only after the damage has already been done.
25. Everyone around you is extremely incompetent when it comes to fighting evil.
26. You’re being forced to make a choice.
27. You’re the only one who can lift a powerful hardware tool.
28. You’ve soothed an untamable beast which now recognizes you as its master. Ultimately, the beast will come to your aid in your darkest hour.
29. A blind prophet knows more about what’s going on than you do.
30. You’re the only one who’s able to successfully resist the villain’s powers.
31. Stirring speeches practically roll off your tongue.
32. Your village has been destroyed, and it was kind of your fault.
33. You’ve been given an ancient relic by a secret council.
34. An evil faction is inexplicably out to get you.
35. There is an ancient prophecy that predicts you’ll save us all.
36. There is an ancient prophecy that uses your name in the form of a pun.
37. There is an ancient prophecy that can’t possibly be true—unless, of course, there’s a loophole you haven’t considered.
38. You have a fatal flaw that you’ll struggle to overcome in a crucial moment.
39. A raven has brought a message.
40. Someone says you’ll have a part to play in the wars to come.
41. You have an ironclad sense of right and wrong.
42. A street urchin seems to know a lot about you.
43. You’re seeing or hearing things that nobody else can see or hear, but when you mention this to people they don’t seem particularly bothered by it.
44. You were switched at birth for your own protection.
45. Maybe you weren’t chosen, per se, but you did choose yourself. Either way, there was a lot of choosing going on, and the darkness has been defeated nonetheless.