Summary & Analysis
Act I (cont.)
Act II, Scene One
Act II, Scene One (cont.)
Act II, Scene Two
Important Quotations Explained
Full Book Quiz
Analysis of Major Characters
Themes, Motifs, and Symbols
Act 1 (cont.)
Act 2, Scene One
Act 2, Scene One (cont.)
Act 2, Scene Two
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. Who is Orestes's father?
2. There is a statue of whom in the public square?
3. Why does Electra believe Orestes will return to Argos?
It is his destiny
He loves his mother
He wants to conquer the town with an army
He owns a house there
4. Why didn't the Argives attempt to stop Agamemnon's murder?
They considered Agamemnon cruel
Aegistheus offered to lower taxes if he became king
No one knew that Clytemnestra and her lover were plotting to kill him
They were excited by the prospect of violence
5. What did the gods do after Agamemnon's murder?
Ordered his son to take back the throne
Punished the murderers
Sent the flies to Argos
Nothing, gods don't exist
6. Why does Orestes say his Tutor's teachings harmed him?
He didn't learn anything he could use in real life
The Tutor never taught him how to be a good king
He has become too detached as a result of the teachings
Orestes spent too much time studying and not enough time partying
7. Orestes complains about which of the following?
His sister is better looking than him
The flies are bothering him
He is too heavy
He is too light
8. The Argives want to atone for each of the following except
Allowing Agamemnon's death
Feeling guilty about too many things
All the sins they admit to having committed
Being alive while others are dead
9. The first thing Electra tells Orestes is that she is
The best-looking girl in town
Bored with her life in Argos
10. Jupiter is the king of everything except
11. Which of the following does Electra say keeps her going?
12. The Argives fear everything except
13. Electra offends everyone at the Dead Man's Day ceremony by
Wearing a white dress
Speaking in tongues
Throwing rocks at Jupiter
Not showing up
14. In her dreams, what does Electra pictures Orestes as?
A rich man
A born fighter
15. What does Jupiter do when Orestes asks the gods for a sign that he should leave Argos?
He makes light flash around a stone
He throws a lightning bolt
He speaks to him in a booming voice
Nothing. He wants Orestes to stay
16. Jupiter tells Aegistheus that they were both doomed by
Pursuing the wrong woman
Their passion for order
Their subjects' distrust
17. Orestes tells Aegistheus that justice is something to be determined by whom?
18. How does Orestes say he found his freedom?
It crashed down on him
His Tutor told him that he is free
His father rescued him from slavery
He understood that he is free through endless soul-searching
19. What do the Furies NOT want to do to Orestes and Electra?
To claw their eyes out
To teach them true responsibility
To punish them for their sins
To mother them with hatred
20. Electra blames her sins on whom?
21. Orestes regrets which of the following?
Having killed his mother
Having caused his sister grief
Having disobeyed a god
Nothing at all
22. According to Orestes, where or when does human life begin?
When people get tired of fighting
When gods stop interfering in human affairs
On the far side of despair
After a man and a woman make love
23. Jupiter comforts Electra by telling her that
Her mother is still alive
She never really wanted to kill her mother
No one can tell her what to do
The gods love her
24. According to Jupiter, what is Orestes's relation to Nature?
He is an intruder in the world
He is in perfect harmony with it
Orestes and Nature reinforce each other
Orestes should spend more time outside
25. When he leaves Argos, what does Orestes NOT take with him?
The dead of Argos
The Argives's sins
His sister's love
Context Quick Quiz
The Flies: Popular pages
Orestes: Character Analysis
Important Quotations Explained
Take a Study Break
Great American Novels, Ranked from "Pretty Great, Actually" to "Meh"
Nov 15, 2019
7 Insanely Bizarre Lessons from Classic Novels
Nov 11, 2019
As Told in a Series of Texts
Nov 1, 2019
5 Famous Books That Got Away with Gigantic Plot Holes
Nov 12, 2019
QUIZ: Can You Guess the Classic Novel from a Single Paragraph?
Nov 14, 2019