1. How does the epigraph from Derek Walcott relate to the themes of the novel?
2. Do you think the fukú curse is real, or is it merely symbolic?
3. What is the significance of having Lola take over from Yunior as narrator?
4. If Yunior is as much of a womanizing jock as he proclaims to be, then why does he make so many references to science fiction and fantasy?
5. What is the significance of the dreams Yunior has about Oscar in Chapter 8?
6. How does Yunior’s discussion of Caribbean history in the beginning of the book relate to the rest of the novel?
7. What do you think gave Oscar the self-confidence and courage he exhibited in the final month of his life?