1. Discuss each of the prominent
female characters in Cold Sassy Tree. Are they
relevant to contemporary ideas of womanhood, or can they be read
only as figures from a bygone era?
2. Why is Rucker initially so
resistant to technology, both inside and outside of the home? What
makes him change
3. At any point, is the marriage
of Miss Love or Rucker in serious jeopardy? What causes the problems
that threaten the marriage, or what prevents them?
4. Do Will’s feelings toward
Hosie Roach change over the course of the story? If so, how do they
5. How do you think we are supposed
to feel about the modernization of Cold Sassy? Overall, is it a
change for better or worse?