Please enter valid Email
Please enter Password
Don't have an account?
Created with Sketch.
The Mill on the Floss
Summary & Analysis
Book First, Chapters I, II, III, and IV
Book First, Chapters IV, V, and VI
Book First, Chapters VIII through XIII
Book First, Chapters XII and XIII
Book Second, Chapters I, II, and III
Book Second, Chapters IV, V, VI, and VII
Book Third, Chapters I, II, and III
Book Third, Chapters IV, V, and VI
Book Third, Chapters VII, VIII, and IX
Book Fourth, Chapters I, II, and III
Book Fifth, Chapters I, II, and III
Book Fifth, Chapters IV, V, VI, and VII
Book Sixth, Chapters I, II, III, and IV
Book Sixth, Chapters IV, V, VII, and VIII
Book Fifth, Chapters IX, X, and XI
Book Sixth, Chapters XII, XIII, and XIV
Book Seventh, Chapters I, II, and III
Book Seventh, Chapters IV, V, and VI
Important Quotations Explained
Full Book Quiz
Analysis of Major Characters
Themes, Motifs, and Symbols
Book First, Chapters 1, 2, 3, and 4
Book First, Chapters 4, 5, and 6
Book First, Chapters 8 through 13
Book First, Chapters 12 and 13
Book Second, Chapters 1, 2, and 3
Book Second, Chapters 4, 5, 6, and 7
Book Third, Chapters 1, 2, and 3
Book Third, Chapters 4, 5, and 6
Book Third, Chapters 7, 8, and 9
Book Fourth, Chapters 1, 2, and 3
Book Fifth, Chapters 1, 2, and 3
Book Fifth, Chapters 4, 5, 6, and 7
Book Sixth, Chapters 1, 2, 3, and 4
Book Sixth, Chapters 4, 5, 7, and 8
Book Fifth, Chapters 9, 10, and 11
Book Sixth, Chapters 12, 13, and 14
Book Seventh, Chapters 1, 2, and 3
Book Seventh, Chapters 4, 5, and 6
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Full Book Quiz
Full Book Quiz
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. Which of these reasons is
one of Mr. Tulliver's reasons for sending Tom on for more education?
So that Tom can teach Maggie
So that Tom can learn to write well
So that Tom will have something else to do besides take over the mill from Mr. Tulliver
So that Tom can help Mr. Tulliver with law documents and arbitrations
2. What does Mr. Tulliver seek Mr. Riley's advice about?
Maggie's uncanny intelligence
Tulliver's dispute with Mr. Pivart over the Floss water
Tulliver's disputes with his wife's family, the Dodsons
3. What book does Maggie show Mr. Riley that she is reading?
The Christian Year
The History of the Devil
4. Why does Tom first get angry at Maggie when he comes home from school in Book First?
Because she won't curl her hair
Because she doesn't play fair at Heads or Tails
Because she has forgotten to feed his rabbits and they've died
Because she speaks badly of Lucy
5. Why does Tom break off his friendship with Bob Jakin?
Because Bob is better at trapping rabbits than Tom
Because Bob is not intelligent
Because Bob does not play fairly
Because Bob has stolen Tom's pocketknife
6. What impulsive action does Maggie take during the visit of her aunts and uncles in Book First?
She falls in the mud
She eats Tom's dessert
She steps on a cake
She cuts her own hair
7. What do Mrs. Glegg and Mr. Tulliver have a disagreement over?
The 500 pounds Mrs. Glegg has lent Mr. Tulliver
8. Why does Mr. Tulliver ultimately decide not to press his sister for the money she owes him?
Because he thinks of Maggie dependent upon Tom after his own death
Because he sees her eight children
Because Mr. Moss convinces him to lay off
Because another investment of his makes good
9. What are Maggie's intentions towards the gypsies?
To use them to make her family pity her
To learn their language
To teach them and be their queen
To teach them how to cook
10. What was St. Ogg's profession?
11. Who insists upon the repayment of the 500 pounds between Mr. Tulliver and Mrs. Glegg?
12. Who is Tom's only playmate during his first term with Mr. Stelling?
13. Why is Christmas dreary after Tom's first term with Mr. Stelling?
Because Maggie has become religiously ascetic
Because Tom hates school
Because the Dodsons refuse to visit
Because Mr. Tulliver is preoccupied with litigation over the river water
14. How does Philip Wakem first win Tom's respect?
His drawing skills
His self-assured demeanor
15. What feature of Maggie's draws Philip to her?
Her linguistic prowess
16. What is Philip's first thought when Tom drops a sword on his own foot?
That Tom deserved it
That Tom might fear he will be lame for life
That Tom is headstrong and stupid
That warfare is wrong
17. With whom does Maggie go to boarding school?
18. What is Mr. Tulliver reading when he has a stroke?
A decision against him in the court case over the water power
A notice from his lawyer, Mr. Gore, that he is bankrupted
A letter stating that the mortgage of the mill has been transferred to Wakem
A letter from Maggie saying she will be home soon
19. Why does Maggie become angry at her aunts and uncles during her father's illness?
Because they are insulting Tom about the benefits of his education
Because they will not offer to buy any of the family's furniture
Because they are insulting to Mrs. Moss
Because they have befriended Lawyer Wakem
20. What causes Lawyer Wakem to buy the mill?
The transference of Tulliver's mortgage to him
Mrs. Tulliver's visit to him
Mr. Riley's recommendation
Tom's proud behavior
21. What does Mr. Tulliver make Tom write in the family Bible?
A notice that Maggie will never marry
A notice that Wakem is not forgiven
The occasion of Tom's repayment of the family debts
The formal transference of power from Tulliver to Tom
22. How does Tom manage to pay off the family debt?
By saving his wages at Guest & Co.
Through an entrepreneurial scheme with Bob Jakin
By appealing to Mr. Glegg for money
By selling his own goods
23. What is Stephen Guest's relationship to Lucy Deane?
They are engaged
They are married
They are courting
They are friends
24. What is the significance of Maggie's sewing?
It shows that she is accomplished in female arts
It shows her love of handicraft
It signifies nothing
It shows that she has been in financial difficulty
25. Why does Maggie become angry when Stephen kisses her arm at the dance?
Because Lucy might have seen
Because Maggie is engaged to Philip
Because he is drunk
Because it shows that Stephen thinks lightly of her
26. Which of the following is
a reason that Maggie decides to leave Stephen in Mudport and return to St. Ogg's?
Because she feels her life with Stephen wouldn't be noble
Because she feels the pull of the past on her
Because she knows that St. Ogg's will never accept her as Stephen's wife
Because she sympathizes with Lucy's and Philip's positions
Context Quick Quiz
The Mill on the Floss: Popular pages
Maggie Tulliver: Character Analysis
Important Quotations Explained
Take a Study Break
7 "Crazy" Women in Literature Who Were Actually Being Totally Reasonable
Jan 28, 2020
QUIZ: Are You a Hero, a Villain, or an Anti-Hero?
Jan 24, 2020
6 of the Most Messed-Up Books We All Had to Read for School
Jan 23, 2020
QUIZ: What's Your Shakespearean Pick-Up Line?
Jan 20, 2020
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Dec 27, 2019