Please enter valid Email
Please enter Password
Don't have an account?
Created with Sketch.
Summary & Analysis
Overall Analysis and /Themes
Full Book Quiz
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Full Book Quiz
Full Book Quiz
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the rituals Walter Shandy performs on the first Sunday of the month?
Winding the clock
Sleeping with his wife
Performing "beds of justice"
Fixing minor problems around the estate
2. Who pays for the midwife to get her license?
3. Tristram hints that Jenny is which of the following?
all of the above
4. On what occasions does Toby "whistle Lillabullero"?
When he is shocked or skeptical
When he is feeling amorous
When he remembers his military days
When he wants to summon Corporal Trim
5. Which medical professional attends Tristram's birth?
6. Whose idea is it to construct a replica of the fortifications at Namur?
7. Whom does Dr. Slop "excommunicate"?
The newborn Tristram
8. To what does Tristram compare wit and judgment in his Preface?
peanut butter and jelly
father and son
the two knobs on a chair
the two ends of a horse
9. Who finally fixes the squeaky hinge?
Trim, after he is scolded for waking Mr. Shandy
Obadiah, so that he can hear himself whistle
Tristram, because he does not want to be like his father
No one; it squeaks to this day
10. Why does Obadiah tie a knot in Dr. Slop's bag?
So that he could hear himself whistle
Because knots are his hobby-horse
To prevent the contents from spilling
So that the baby would not be delivered with forceps
11. What name did Walter Shandy select for his son?
12. Who in the book shares Tristram's first name?
13. Who is the victim of the hot chestnut incident, and who is blamed for it?
Dr. Slop, Obadiah
Uncle Toby, Widow Wadman
14. How does Tristram's brother Bobby die?
Of an illness
Of an accident on horseback
Of a wound to the groin
15. Who takes the blame for Tristram's accident with the window sash?
16. Who makes the amusing observation that "nothing in the Shandy household is well hung?"
17. On what part of speech does the grammatical focus of the Tristra-paedia lie?
18. Which of the following is NOT one of Tristram's complaints about French transportation?
He cannot sleep in the stagecoach
French carriages are always breaking down
The ass keeps eating his macaroons
He is forced to pay for a journey he does not take
19. Who stays behind at Shandy Hall during Tristram's Grand Tour?
20. How does the story of "The King of Bohemia and His Seven Castles" end?
With a marriage
With the death of the King of Bohemia
With the arrival of the Spanish Inquisition
It doesn't; Trim never finishes it
21. Which part of Widow Wadman's physique first attracts Uncle Toby?
One of her eyes
Her hourglass figure
Her delicate wrists
22. What does Walter's letter to Toby contain?
Information about his inheritance
The news that Bobby is dead
Advice about women
23. Why do Toby and Trim stop just short of Widow Wadman's door?
The bull is blocking the way
Obadiah tells them that the Widow is out of town
Uncle Toby falls in love
Corporal Trim has a story to tell
24. What is the occupation of the Jewish widow whom Toby's brother Tom eventually marries?
25. What lewd suggestion does Walter make to Obadiah during the cock and bull story?
That Obadiah mates with the cow
That Obadiah's wife has mated with the bull
That Obadiah stole the bull
That Obadiah is impotent
Context Quick Quiz
Tristram Shandy: Popular pages
Take a Study Break
QUIZ: How Many of These Literary
Questions Can You Answer Correctly?
Jan 14, 2020
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Dec 27, 2019
Greek Mythology as Told in a Series of Texts
Jan 16, 2020
Pick 10 Books and We'll Guess Whether You're an Introvert or an Extrovert
Jan 7, 2020
QUIZ: Who Said it, Kylo Ren or Hamlet?
Dec 18, 2019