- A Georgian shoemaker, and Stalin's father
- Stalin's second wife, and the mother of Vasily and
Svetlana. She killed herself in 1932.
- The leader of the Politburo "Rightists," he was outmaneuvered
by Stalin in the late 1920s, and executed in 1938
- The Nazi ruler of Germany, and Stalin's adversary
in World War II
- A Politburo "Leftist," executed by Stalin in 1936
- Stalin's successor as ruler of the Soviet Union,
he repudiated his predecessor's deeds and legacy
Vladimir Ilich Ulyanov, he founded the Bolsheviks and led the Russian
Revolution. He died in 1924.
- A loyal Stalinist from the 1920s on, he concluded
the 1939 Nazi-Soviet Pact.
last Tsar of Russia, executed with his family by the Bolsheviks
- A member of Lenin's Politburo, and one of Bukharin's
allies, he was a victim of the Great Terror.
- Stalin's first wife, and the mother of Yakov. She
died in 1907.
- A "Rightist" member of Lenin's Politburo, he committed
suicide in 1936, during the Great Terror.
- A former Menshevik, he joined the Bolsheviks before
the Revolution and organized the Red Army. He was one of Lenin's
favorites, but he was outmaneuvered by Stalin and exiled in 1929.
In 1940 a Soviet agent assassinated him in Mexico City.
and Nadezhda's son, he became a dissolute playboy.
- Stalin's mother. She urged her son in his education,
in the hopes that he would become a priest.
son from his first marriage, he was executed by the Germans during
World War II.
- The great general who orchestrated the Soviet victory
in World War II
- A "Leftist" member of Lenin's Politburo, he would be
executed by Stalin in 1936.