Please enter valid Email
Please enter Password
Don't have an account?
Created with Sketch.
Seminary and Marxism
The Underground Years
The Coming of the Revolution
Civil War and Consolidation
The Struggle for Power
The Great Terror and the Nazi-Soviet Pact
World War II
The Cold War and Stalin's Last Years
Key Terms and Events
How to Cite This SparkNote
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
1. Where was Stalin born?
2. What was Stalin's father's profession?
3. After leaving home, where did Stalin pursue his education?
University of Georgia
Tiflis Theological Seminary
Georgian Orthodox College
4. During his student years, to what ideology did Stalin begin to subscribe?
5. What was the name of the first Marxist party in Russia?
6. After leaving school, Stalin briefly held a job at a(n):
7. In 1902, Russian Marxists split into two factions; what were these?
The Bolsheviks and Social Democrats
The Bolsheviks and Mensheviks
The Bolsheviks and Socialists
The Mensheviks and Leninists
8. Who was the leader of the Bolsheviks?
9. What was the name of Stalin's first wife?
10. In order to end the 1905 Revolution, Nicholas II was forced to do what?
Allow an elected Duma
Share power with the Bolsheviks
11. Prior to the Revolution, the ruler of Russia was called what?
12. What was the name of Stalin's first son?
13. As a Bolshevik, Stalin went under what name?
14. What is the meaning of the name Stalin?
15. In the years before World War I, Lenin lived primarily in what place?
16. To what place was Stalin frequently exiled during the decade 1900-1910?
17. World War I began in what year?
18. What was Stalin doing during much of the war?
He was serving in the army
He was spending time with his family
He was in exile in Siberia
He was acting behind the scenes in St. Petersburg politics
19. When did the Russian Revolution begin?
20. Who was the leader of the Provisional Government in place after the Revolution?
21. Who sent Lenin back to Russia in a sealed train?
22. When did the Bolsheviks seized power?
23. In the ensuing civil war, the opposition to the Bolsheviks was known as the:
24. What was the fate of Nicholas II and his family?
They became Marxists
They fled to Germany
They were all shot by the Bolsheviks
They fled to Britain
25. Who organized the Red Army?
26. What was the cause of Lenin's death?
A series of strokes
27. When did Lenin die?
28. What did Lenin warn in his Testament?
That Trotsky was growing too powerful
That Stalin should be removed as General Secretary
That Stalin should be executed immediately
That Germany would eventually invaded the Soviet Union again
29. When the reading of Lenin's Testament seemed to doom him, Stalin was saved by whom?
Kamenev and Zinoviev
30. Who led the Politburo's "Leftists"?
Trotsky and Molotov
Kamenev and Zinoviev
Kamenev and Bukharin
Zinoviev and Bukharin
31. Who was Stalin's last strong adversary, and the leader of the "Rightists"?
32. What was Trotsky's fate in 1929?
He was imprisoned
He was exiled from the U.S.S.R.
He was restored to power
He was executed
33. Stalin's plan for modernizing the Soviet economy was referred to as what?
The Five-Year Plan
The New Deal
The Great Leap Forward
The New Economic Policy
34. Collectivization was driven ahead by Stalin's desire to destroy whom?
His political enemies
35. What was the approximate number of deaths resulting from collectivization and the 1931-2 famine?
36. What happened to Nadezhda in 1932?
She went into exile in Siberia
She killed herself
She was assassinated
She fled to the United States
37. Whom did Stalin assassinate in December 1934?
38. The period from 1936-38, when Stalin liquidated his political enemies, was known as what?
The Reign of Terror
The Great Terror
The Dark Years
The Great Purge
39. The last "Show Trial," in 1938, claimed the lives of whom?
Bukharin and Rykov
Beria and Molotov
Zinoviev and the last "Leftists"
40. Which man was most responsible for drafting the Nazi-Soviet Pact?
41. In 1939, Germany and the Soviet Union agreed to partition what country between them?
42. What nation did Nazi Germany declare war on in the summer of 1941?
The United States
The Soviet Union
43. The turning point in the war came in winter 1942-43, with the Battle of what?
44. In driving the Germans back, Stalin's armies gained control of what region?
France and Italy
The Middle East
45. World War II came to an end in what year?
46. What was the name of Stalin's daughter?
47. The Soviet Union developed their first atomic bomb in what year?
48. The fabricated plot against Stalin in the early '50s was called what?
The Zionist Plot
The Jewish Plot
The Doctors' Plot
The Georgian Plot
49. When did Stalin die?
50. Who was Stalin's successor?
Take a Study Break
QUIZ: How Many of These Literary
Questions Can You Answer Correctly?
Jan 14, 2020
6 of the Most Messed-Up Books We All Had to Read for School
Jan 23, 2020
QUIZ: What's Your Shakespearean Pick-Up Line?
Jan 20, 2020
Pick 10 Books and We'll Guess Whether You're an Introvert or an Extrovert
Jan 7, 2020
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Dec 27, 2019