1. Discuss the book’s view of relationships between men.
2. Analyze Steinbeck’s portrayal of Curley’s wife as the lone female on the all-male ranch.
3. Paying attention to the long descriptive passages at the beginning of each section, discuss the ways in which the novella is similar to a theatrical play. Do these similarities strengthen or weaken the work? How?
4. Discuss George’s actions at the end of the story. How can we justify what he does to Lennie? How can we condemn it?
5. Discuss Steinbeck’s descriptions of the natural world. What role does nature play in the novella’s symbolism?
6. Analyze the characters of Slim, Crooks, and Curley. What role does each character play?