The Day of the Locust
The Day of the Locust
Summary & Analysis
Important Quotations Explained
Full Book Quiz
Analysis of Major Characters
Suggestions for Further Reading
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. What is Tod's job?
Set and costume designer
2. What is the common characteristic of the people Tod feels he must paint?
They are lower-class
They are masqueraders
They have come to California to die
They are criminals
3. What is the name of the series of lithographs that Tod is working on at the beginning of the novel?
The Burning of Los Angeles
4. Where is Abe Kusich when Tod first encounters him?
In the Bernardino Arms
Lying outside the door of a woman's apartment
In a stationary shop
At the racetrack
5. What is Faye Greener's job throughout most of the novel?
Silver polish saleswoman
She is unemployed
6. Why does Mrs. Schwartzen get upset with Tod at Claude Estee's party?
He refuses to let her go to Mrs. Jenning's
He refuses to pretend that the rubber horse in the pool is an actual dead horse
He refuses to play tennis with her
He is not wealthy or attractive
7. What prompts Mrs. Schwartzen and the others to stage a mock riot at Mrs. Jenning's house?
Mrs. Jenning tells them that Faye is unavailable
Mrs. Jenning insists on discussing Gertrude Stein
The film projector gets jammed
Mrs. Jenning kicks them out
8. What kind of film is "Le Predicament de Marie"?
A pornographic film
9. What does Tod get Claude to ask Mrs. Jenning?
If Tod can become a regular customer
Where she acquired her tiny dog sculptures
If Faye is available as one of her prostitutes
If Tod can borrow "Le Predicament de Marie"
10. Why, does Tod imagine, does Harry Greener continue to act like a clown even though he is no longer employed as one?
To sell silver polish
As practice in case he gets a job
Out of habit
As a mode of defense
11. Why has Homer Simpson moved to Hollywood?
To start a film career
Because his father died
To look for Romola Martin
On his doctor's recommendation
12. Who is Romola Martin?
A film star
A tenant in the Iowa hotel where Homer worked
Homer's boss at the hotel in Iowa
13. Why does Homer give change to the beggar on his way to the supermarket?
The beggar bullies him
The beggar does a dance for him
Because Homer is a nice man
The beggar reminds Homer of his father
14. What does Harry Greener normally do to antagonize Faye?
He makes her drive him around
15. How does Tod become closer to Faye?
He visits with Harry when he is sick
He offers her a job at his studio
He takes her out to dinners
He befriends Mary Dove
16. What proposition does Faye make to Tod?
He can sleep with her for $30
He can take care of her after Harry dies
He can become her business partner in the film industry
He can move in with the Greeners
17. How does Earle Shoop spend his days?
Standing in front of Hodge's saddlery store
Playing a cowboy extra
Drinking at the local bar
18. Why does Tod decide to accompany Faye on her date with Earle?
He is afraid Earle might hurt her
Because Earle owes him money
Because Faye asks him to
Because Faye confidently insists that he will
19. What is Tod's likely intent when he chases after Faye in the woods?
To get her to come home with him
To get the keys to her car
To rape her
To comfort her
20. What happened to Faye's mother?
She ran away with a foreign man
She got arrested
She moved to Catalina
21. What is the topic of Tod's lecture to Faye during Harry's funeral?
The importance of saving money
The importance of showing grief at a funeral
The artificiality of her acting technique
22. What strange question does Mrs. Loomis ask Homer and Tod?
If they can sign their autographs for her
If they like her son, Adore
Which religious lifestyle they follow
If they are married
23. What does Tod do when he decides to put Faye out of his mind?
He moves into a new apartment building
He befriends Earle and Miguel
He visits the East Coast
He puts away the drawings he has made of her
24. 24. What does Homer mind most about Earle and Miguel living in his garage?
Their dirty black hen
They constantly hit on Faye
They do not pay for lodging
They are unclean
25. What does Adore do that incites Homer to chase after him?
He throws a rock at Homer
He dangles a purse in front of Homer
He calls Homer names
He sings and dances
Context Quick Quiz
Tod Hackett: Character Analysis
From the SparkNotes Blog
Literary Characters Summed Up in Quotes from
7 Beloved Fictional Characters Who Are Secretly Terrible People
Every Literary Genre Summed Up in a Single Sentence
7 Dirty Jokes You Didn't Catch in Shakespeare's Most Popular Plays
Pick 9 Books and We'll Tell You What Netflix Show You Should Binge This Summer