- An adventurous young Andalusian shepherd determined to fulfill his
Personal Legend, which is to find a treasure at the foot of the Egyptian pyramids.
He is the book's protagonist.
in-depth analysis of Santiago.
- A 200-year-old, extremely powerful alchemist residing in the Al-Fayoum
Oasis. He dresses in black, rides a white horse, and carries a scimitar, the
Philosopher’s Stone, and the Elixir of Life. He often speaks cryptically, but he
understands the Soul of the World and the importance of Personal
in-depth analysis of The Alchemist.
- A struggling merchant who owns a crystal shop on top of a desolate hill.
His shop was once popular but lost much of its business as Tangier lost its status
as Egypt’s premiere port town. He is a good-hearted, devout Muslim, but has a
crippling fear of change.
in-depth analysis of Crystal Merchant.
- A well-educated science student determined to learn the secrets of
alchemy by learning from a true alchemist. He is a skeptic and loves reading his
in-depth analysis of Englishman.
- The King of Salem. He appears to possess magical powers and helps those
pursuing their Personal Legends.
in-depth analysis of Melchizedek.
- A beautiful and chaste young "desert woman" who lives at the Al-Fayoum
Oasis. She understands that she must allow Santiago to travel in pursuit of his
in-depth analysis of Fatima.
- An old women living in Tarifa who interprets dreams. She reads palms and
uses black-magic iconography, but she also keeps images of Christ.
- A friendly former orchard owner and devout Muslim who feels content with
his life despite losing his orchard in a flood. He has made the pilgrimage to Mecca
and lives his life in service of omens from God.
The Tribal Chieftain of Al-Fayoum
- A strict and ruthless tribal chieftain who lives in luxury. He enforces
Al-Fayoum's status as a neutral ground and believes in dreams and
- The beautiful and intelligent raven-haired daughter of the merchant who
buys wool from Santiago.
- A welcoming Coptic monk living in a monastery near the pyramids of
- A merchant who buys wool from Santiago on a yearly basis. He worries
about being cheated so he demands that any wool he buys be sheared from the sheep in
in-depth analysis of Merchant.
- A kindly, unadventurous family man who hoped Santiago would become a
priest but gives him his blessing to become a shepherd.
- A scam artist living in Tangier who speaks Arabic and
- A generous vendor in the Tangier marketplace who enjoys his
- A well-meaning bartender who lives in Tangier and speaks only
- The bold leader of a caravan traveling across the Sahara Desert from
Tangier to Egypt.