1. How would Tolkien define good? How would he define evil? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Explain the distinction Tolkien makes between knowledge and wisdom.
3. Tolkien was a devout Catholic. What elements of his novel might be traced to a Catholic worldview?
4. Discuss the significance of the fact that Frodo, the Ring-bearer, and his closest companions are Hobbits rather than Elves, Men, or some other, more powerful race.
5. What does Sauron’s Ruling Ring signify?
Take a Study Break
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Every Book on Your English Syllabus, Summed Up in Marvel Quotes
A Roundup of the Funniest Great Gatsby Memes You'll Ever See
QUIZ: How Many of These Literary Jeopardy! Questions Can You Answer Correctly?
7 "Crazy" Women in Literature Who Were Actually Being Totally Reasonable
Honest Names for All the Books on Your English Syllabus
QUIZ: Are You a Hero, a Villain, or an Anti-Hero?