1. How does Ellen's time spent working on her grandmother's field with the black workers alter her views on racism? Why does she say she could pass for a "colored person?"
2. Why does Ellen admire Mavis's and Starletta's families?
3. How does Ellen reveal her precocity? How does she mature throughout the course of the novel?
4. Why is Ellen so glad that she does not believe in Santa Claus? How does this act as an indicator of her maturity? How is it sad?
5. Why does Ellen blame herself for her mother's death? What reason does she give for not wanting her grandmother to die?