In Our Time
In Our Time
Summary & Analysis
On the Quai at Smyrna
The Doctor and the Doctor's Wife
The End of Something
The Three-Day Blow
My Old Man
Big Two-Hearted River: Part I
Big Two-Hearted River: Part II
Out of Season
Cat in the Rain
A Very Short Story
Mr. And Mrs. Elliot
Full Book Quiz
How to Write Literary Analysis
Suggested Essay Topics
How to Cite This SparkNote
Table of Contents
, which you don't seem to have. Please try a different browser.
Full Book Quiz
1. What does Nick Adams fish for in "Big Two-Hearted River"?
2. What do Hubert Elliot and Cornelia Elliot want more than anything?
A mansion in Toulouse
3. What does Luz call her romance with the American soldier?
An illicit escapade
A boy-girl affair
4. When Maera is dying, what does he notice?
The ground is sticky.
The crowd keeps cheering and yelling.
The bull has been castrated.
The medics carried him to the wrong place.
5. What does the priest tell Sam Cardinella before he is hanged?
Say goodbye to your relatives
He will go to Hell
Be a man
6. What does Nick Adams tell Marjorie that makes her leave him in "The End of Something"?
That love isn't fun anymore
That he sees one of the rods has caught a fish
That Bill is coming
That her sandwiches taste terrible
7. Why was Ad Francis criticized by the public?
He fought dirty.
He looked ugly from being punched so much.
They thought he had married his sister.
He got in a bar fight.
8. In "Out of Season," what does Peduzzi want to stop for?
A sweater for the American wife
Another fishing rod
9. In "My Old Man," what happens that causes Joe to comment, "When they get started they don't leave a guy nothing"?
His horse was shot.
His father died in a horse-riding accident.
Some men bad-mouthed his father after he died.
All of the above
10. In "The Doctor and the Doctor's Wife," what religion is the wife?
11. What does Bill's father say makes drunkards?
Drinking during the day
12. What does George call Nick in "Cross-Country Snow"?
13. What is the mood of Nick's father and Uncle George after they deliver the baby in "Indian Camp"?
14. In "Cat in the Rain," what does the Americans' hotel room look out on?
The sea, the public garden, and a war monument
The public garden, an amusement park, and a pet store
A zoo and a lake
A carousel and a war monument
15. What artist does the young man in "The Revolutionist" dislike?
16. How does Nick Adams get off the train in "The Battler"?
He climbs down onto the station platform.
A bum punches him off.
He jumps from a freight car.
He asks the conductor to stop between towns.
17. What does Krebs' sister, Helen Krebs, want him to come watch in the afternoon?
Her indoor baseball game
Her indoor soccer game
Her after-school play
Her jacks championship
18. Why does Nick decide against going to fish in the swamp in "Big Two-Hearted River"?
He is afraid he will get stuck.
He doesn't think there will be any fish there.
He remembers that Hopkins told him not to.
He has plenty of time and doesn't want to rush anything.
19. What did Ernest Hemingway do in the war?
He was a general commanding troops.
He drove an ambulance.
He dodged the draft, lived in Paris, and wrote.
He fought in the trenches.
20. In "Big Two-Hearted River," Nick notices that the grasshoppers have changed color? What color are those grasshoppers now?
21. What is Hubert Elliot's profession?
22. Why does Nick's father send away the people that he has hired in "The Doctor and the Doctor's Wife"?
Because they brought the wrong tools.
Because they said that he stole his wood.
Because they asked for more money.
Because they had been drinking.
23. In "Cross-Country Snow," why does Nick say that he and Helen might go back to America?
Because they want to.
Because she misses her family.
Because he cannot find work.
Because she is going to have a baby.
24. Where does Nick get shot?
25. Why is the American man nervous about his journey in "Out of Season"?
He needs to catch a fish for dinner.
His wife is drunk, and he is afraid she will embarrass them.
He does not trust Peduzzi.
Fishing is illegal, and he's afraid he'll be caught.
From the SparkNotes Blog
Every Shakespeare Play Summed Up in a Quote from The Office
Classic Novels Summed Up in
7 Disturbing Details from Classic Novels (That You Probably Don't Remember)
5 Famous Books Whose Original Titles Would Have Changed Everything
Everything YA Literature Lied to Me About